Monday, November 30, 2015

BAJA 1000


 
Well I haven't written in for awhile. It is so difficult when there is no immediate access to the internet. I'm going to have to dedicate time on the computer and upload when I hit the WiFi on the laptop via my thumb drive.

We had our first taste of the BAJA 1000 on November 20th and boy was it fun to watch them head out, first on the paved roads and then as they hit the dirt in a drainage canal. We initially watched from the bridge as they transitioned from the pavement to the dirt. There was a gentleman standing next to us and explained how there is two routes used for the race and alternate each year. This year it was the shorter length with it starting and finishing in Ensenada, while next year it is a longer distance with the race starting in Ensenada and finishing in La Paz.

It is crazy to see how close people actually get to these vehicles as they can easily lose control especially when they hit the dirt. We watched one person (I think he was wasted or had mental issues) sit down right in the middle of the route and people yelling for him to move and finally a police officer came along to assist him to a safer location.




We decided to move from the bridge to the paved portions of the route, just before they hit the corner to the dirt and then worked our way towards the starting line. The vehicles still hauled butt yet had better traction on the pavement.





Sad to say all my video I had taken from the race was lost as my memory died but at least I had saved some pics to the phone when I did the burst shoots while selecting the best shot. I also had a few pics of some of the vehicles before the race that I had posted on Facebook.


Anyways, can't wait for next year...maybe we will view from a different location.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fun! And I know what you mean about how close people get to cars (often running at high speeds) at these events. Makes me cringe every time.

    ReplyDelete